THE HISTORY OF THE BUILDING
GROSZ Café-Restaurant is situated in CUMBERLAND House on Berlin’s premier shopping boulevard, Kurfürstendamm Avenue. The story of Cumberland House is an exciting and moving tale of joy and sorrow. The heritage-listed building was designed by architect Robert Leibnitz and built in 1911/12. It was named in honour of Ernst August, Third Duke of Cumberland. Originally conceived as an apartment hotel, Cumberland House covers 10,000 square metres of land area between Kurfürstendamm and Lietzenburger Straße. Three elaborate courtyards that were intended for rental out on completion of the building, form the heart of the complex. Unfortunately, the owner had to file for bankruptcy shortly before the final opening causing the venture to fail.
Shortly after, the building was briefly used for the Waffen und Munitionsbeschaffungsamt (Imperial Arms and Ammunition Procurement Office) and, later in the same year it was converted to a Grand Hotel. After the First World War the building housed the main post office building and, from 1920, it housed the Ministry of Economics as well as theatres and cinemas. From 1936 it housed various financial offices and, in the period of National Socialism, the Office of the Chief Finance President Berlin-Brandenburg, which played a part in the expropriation and plundering of Jewish property.
From 1966 to 2003 the Gebäude der Berliner Oberfinanzdirektion (Berlin Regional Finance) offices were located in the building. Since then it has been empty, apart from shops on the ground floor. The building’s high ceilings and special ambience have seen it used several times as a location for Hollywood films.
After new plans for a luxury hotel failed, the property was sold to Dr. Th. Bscher, D. Maruhn and D. Germandi in 2010. The building was renovated for heritage status and the Ku’damm façade was returned to its original state. At the rear of the complex 185 condominiums have been built and, at the front, a number of retail outlets. GROSZ, which opened at the end of 2012, was named after the Berlin artist George Grosz. The German-American painter, graphic designer and caricaturist is today best known for his socially critical paintings from the 1920s.
OUR FOOD – A FUSION OF TRADITION AND INNOVATION
At Grosz we are committed to tradition. Just as restaurant borchardt, the utmost respect is paid to heritage. Also, what inspired palates in the past, is still delectable to this day. Don’t be surprised to see dishes on our current menu such as Brüsseler Poularden (Brussels Chicken), Hummer en belle vue (Lobster Bellevue) and Schinkenmus in Portweingelee (Ham Mousse in Port Wine Jelly) (see an original 1912 menu to the right).
The food is traditional with a twist of contemporary; it is an experience for the senses. So too is the delicious Princess Viktoria cake from our own patisserie: a white chocolate and pistachio extravagance created by the borchardt catering team.